Let's get something straight, it's not a "shrimpeek," it's a "prawn."
The beautiful thing about this recipe is that it's so simple. It literally is just that -- throwing a shrimp on the barbie.k
Greeks tend to cook the prawn in its shell as this retains the moisture and the prawn cooks in it's own juices. Shelling the prawn does make things a little messier but that's just part of the fun!
The shrimp are great on their own or for the ultimate pairing, dip them in a homemade garlic basil oil.
- 1 kg of large shrimp, shells intact
- 1/2 cup of good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 sweet basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp of sea salt
- A pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Add the olive oil to a small mixing bowl with the lemon juice, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Mix quickly to emulsify to the mixture. Set aside.
- Heat up the barbecue and throw on the shrimp. Cook one side for 1 minute. Turn and cook for another minute.
- Shell the shrimp, being careful not to burn your fingers, and dip in the garlic basil oil.